So you just installed Windows 8 on one of the devices you have and are trying to connect to a Windows 7 home group network you already have set up. And you find yourself getting this error.
First make sure that your new machine is time synchronized with the other machines. And that not only involves setting the correct time zone BUT ALSO synchronizing time from the same internet time server as the other machines. Follow below show how to do that on your Windows 8 machine.
- Left click on the date time the bottom right of your screen.
- Click on “Change Date and Time Settings”.
- Go to “Internet Time” tab.
- Click “Change Settings” button. (Note the text on your tab might look different than mine since your system has yet to be synchronized for the first time.)
- Check “Synchronize with an Internet Time Server”. Choose “time.windows.com” in the dropdown list OR THE SAME OPTION IT IS THERE ON OTHER WINDOWS 7 MACHINES.
- Click “Update Now”. Make sure that the time is updated before you close this window. (Sometimes you might get an error due to some internet issue, etc)
I guess this is one of those issues which if you try to solve the “right” way then you might just end up wasting two hours without any result. On the contrary, a quick resolution of this issue is pretty simple if you have only a few machines on the homegroup.
- All Windows 7 machines leave homegroup. (See how-to demo here)
- One of the Windows 7 machines creates a new homegroup. (See how-to Demo here)
- All Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines join the new homegroup. (See how-to Demo here)
Geek-Note: At the moment it seems like a bug in Windows 8 communication with Windows 7. Before I took the steps above, I did the following just to troubleshoot this issue.
- Pinged from Windows 8 to Windows 7 machine. Pings working both ways. IPv6 pings working both ways as well.
- net view \\<Windows7machinename> was working and showing me the shared folders.
- I was able to open the machine in Windows explorer using both the IP address as well as NETBIOS name.
- Both machines were time synchronized.
- All the required services were working.